Saturday, July 05, 2003

Last Saturday, I went out to my friend David's house in Epsom for a real treat -- a great dinner cooked by a Thai friend visiting from New Zealand. Chicken satay. Yummmm.

I met a friend of David's, an Australian named Ian who lives in London and helped survey New Guinea back in the day.

You get to Epsom -- home of the famed Epsom Downs race track -- by train from Waterloo. The journey is only 30 minutes but it's another world -- horses, countryside and a town with a lot of the amenities but none of the urban grit or crowding. I like big-city life but change is good.

Sometimes, you get a nice surprise when you glance up from your newspaper and out the window of your train. Around Rayner's Lane, I saw a typical, long narrow English garden in back of a typical English house. But in the garden were two small but unmistakeable observatory domes. Whoever lives there must be very serious about astronomy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home